Wednesday 6 April 2011

"Though this be madness, yet there is method in't"

The testing continues. Getting closer to a liner glaze that matches the clay shrinkage.

Why is a liner glaze that fits so important? Well for the past 5 months about 80% of my Crystalline work has come out of the kiln with cracks on the bottom. The cracks all appeared to be very random with no clear identifiable cause. I asked other potters and tried their suggestions. I spoke with people who work for the technical support at two different clay manufactures and both said it was most likely caused by an extreme glaze fit issue. Using the Digitalfire Insight glaze software I have been testing and altering different glazes.


I found this link on Fizz & Fuzz and would like to pass it along as I feel its worth reading. How To Steal Like An Artist

1 comment:

  1. I want to see the results of your liner tests!
    I get why they are important, how did it go?
    And what of this show I hear you were in recently?
    C.

    ReplyDelete